In this week’s episode, Michael Dolan and I show you how to bring about the results you want in life by combining two powerful action frameworks: Getting Things Done (GTD) and promise-based management.
GTD, also known as workflow coaching, helps you manage agreements with yourself. David Allen, my guest on episode 13, outlined this model in his mega bestselling book, Getting Things Done. Michael has been bringing this approach to executives and senior professionals for many years.
Master difficult conversations
Learn my best tips for staying cool under pressure and elevating your leadership in complex times.
NO CHARGE. NO SPAM. UNSUBSCRIBE ANYTIME.
Promise-based management helps you manage commitments with others. I heard about it 20 years ago, gave my first talk about it in 2003, and enjoy introducing it to clients. It has been one of the principal themes of this podcast. Many of you heard the integral mashup I did on this topic several months ago.
The question Michael and I explore today is this: what happens when you integrate both frameworks into your day-to-day work life? What becomes possible when you become adept at managing agreements with yourself using GTD and skilled at managing commitments with others using promise-based management?
Neither of us promises you will become superhuman or super-happy.
Then again, nor do we claim these are out of reach!
But seriously, I enjoyed rolling up my sleeves with Michael. Join us as we dig in below the level of concepts to explore specific behaviors you can start practicing today when you combine these powerful frameworks.
- 12:00 How can promises from a 1-on-1 meeting end up in your inbox?
- 18:00 Processing items at your desk when you’re confused about who promised what
- 24:00 It’s easier to process (“What is this?”) when you’ve already discussed this with others
- 30:00 Check your “delegated project” list at the end of a meeting
- 37:00 Asking the other person to promise to bring up a topic in three months
- 41:00 You saying “no” to me could help me renegotiate agreements with myself!
- 47:00 You thought they were going to produce a brochure. They thought they agreed to get it approved.
- 52:00 What if you don’t trust others to manage their promises?
- 59:00 Why Michael is in awe of the volume of work his clients manage